We know that 2016 has been a hard year in a lot of ways and that a lot of people are happy to see it go. But before we say “auf wiedersehen” to 2016 and gladly welcome 2017 in, we want to spend a little time remembering the last year and celebrating all the great things we’ve experienced in our first year of business.
Cue the Wayne’s World “doodly doo doodly doo” wavy-hands transition….
- We worked with 22 beautiful families and provided them services, including prenatal information, birth support, postpartum care, bereavement support, breastfeeding support, and placenta encapsulation.
- We attended 2 Doula Speed Dating events with The Natural Baby (the first Doula Speed Dating events to ever exist in Athens!)
- We talked with 1 group of high school students about self-care in their immediate postpartum period (in collaboration with Two Bee Birth Services).
- We began a partnership with Better Breastfeeding, LLC to make sure our clients get the best breastfeeding support possible, and another partnership with The Mother-Daughter Nest to honor women as they become mothers through our Mother Blessing Ceremonies.
- We published 24 blog posts and about a zillion Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter posts.
- We spoke with 1 local group of pregnant women about comfort measures during labor.
- We had more “super serious business meetings” than we can remember where we discussed everything from actual business stuff to our personal lives to our clients … and everything in between.
- We met with multiple professionals around town, including a NICU nurse, a midwife and a professional dog trainer, to further expand our resources and knowledge. We even met with a college student with hopes of someday becoming a midwife!
- We added 3 official certifications, each of us being fully certified CAPPA labor doulas and Kate earning her IBCLC credentials (HUGE congratulations on that major accomplishment, Kate!!!).
- We had our first giveaway, featuring coffee from 1000 Faces and a costume contest.
- Between the 2 of us, we listened to (and re-listened to) countless podcasts about birth and pregnancy and postpartum care.
- We drove our husbands and kids crazy about 3 thousand total times whenever our phones dinged and we ran to it, saying “It’s Kate/Becca!” or “It’s my client!” … and then, the inevitable, “I’m heading in… I’ll be home after the baby is born!”
- We did a LOT of bragging to each other about our amazing clients …. “You should have seen that mama, she was so incredible” and “He was the most attentive partner I’ve ever seen” and “That was seriously the cutest baby ever” and “Wow, what an incredible experience.”
Incredible is a great way to describe 2016 for AthensBorn. We’re endlessly thankful for all the support of our friends, mentors, family, and especially our clients - without you guys, we wouldn’t be here. So to each of you who trusted us to enter your sacred space in this incredible time of your lives, thank you. We told you that we were honored that you allowed us to be a part of your lives, and it’s absolutely true. We will never forget the nervousness of meeting you all for the first time, and the excitement we felt each time you chose us to serve you. We’ll never forget the beauty of seeing your baby in your arms after long hours of hard labor, or watching as you began an incredible breastfeeding relationship. We’ll hold these memories close to our hearts as AthensBorn grows, because you guys were here with us in the beginning. So, again, thank you from the very deepest part of us, and as always… take care <3
P.S. Special mention to Charles and Chad, our endlessly patient and supportive husbands, who have helped us realize this dream. We couldn’t have done this without you. And to our precious children, Jack, Anna, Ada, and Lola… we love each of you deeply, and it’s for you that we work so hard to serve each of these families.