AthensBorn Birth Services - Placenta Encapsulation Agreement
Thank you for allowing AthensBorn Birth Services, LLC to care for your placenta. I strive to always handle each client's placenta with safety at the forefront of my mind, followed by respect for the work your placenta has done in nourishing the life of your baby and the healing and work it can continue to do through placentophagy.
Limitations and Disclaimer
Placenta encapsulation is the act of taking a fresh, raw placenta, washing the placenta, steaming or slicing the placenta raw, dehydrating, grinding and putting the placenta powder into consumable capsules. All processes are done with respect and education of that placenta and in a sanitary environment. My business is adhering to strict OSHA guidelines and I am following proper food safety standards. The placenta capsules that are being prepared are for your (owner of the placenta) consumption only and are not designed to reverse medical conditions or ailments from pregnancy, to treat postpartum depression, to ensure normal milk supply or to replace medical attention.
I am not a licensed medical professional and I am not able to diagnose, treat, or prescribe for any health condition. Services and fees are for the preparation and encapsulation of your placenta, not for the sale of the pills. No specific benefits or effects are promised. Any benefits will vary from person to person. Some of the ascribed benefits of placenta consumption are supported by research; however these benefits have not been evaluated or approved by the FDA. It is your responsibility to determine whether using placenta preparations may be of benefit to you. Placentophagy, (as it pertains to this contract agreement, is for natural nutritional supplementation and is intended solely for ingestion by the person who has birthed the placenta(s) and not for their family members, friends, or other individuals), is a natural nutritional supplement and as such cannot be guaranteed to produce specific results.
By signing this agreement, you agree to give Becca Crowe and AthensBorn Birth Services, LLC permission to photograph your placenta throughout the process of any services purchased and use the photos for informational and promotional purposes.
- I will complete the full placenta preparation and encapsulation process after I have received your placenta from you. Proper cleanliness and preparation precautions for ingesting the placenta will be carried out to ensure the highest quality of placenta encapsulation possible for the age and storage methods of the placenta before the encapsulation process.
- Within 5 days of receipt of the placenta: I will deliver your completed pills to your home, if within our services area, or to a designated location if you aren't located within our services area.
- I will provide a detailed explanation of the proper storing and handling of the finished placenta products and suggestions for ingestion recommendations.
- I make every effort to prepare each placenta in a timely manner. However, since I am a birth doula, in the event I am called to a birth or have another client’s placenta preceding yours there may be a delay of 1-2 days or more in preparing your placenta. This delay will not negate the safety or effectiveness of your placenta.
- It is your responsibility to deliver your placenta to my house in Statham (12 miles from Piedmont Athens Regional Medical Center, 11 miles from St. Mary's Hospital) after your baby has been born. Exact address and instructions for dropoff will be provided.
- It is your responsibility to deliver your placenta in a timely manner (within 1-2 days of birth) and to keep it at a food-safe temperature until delivery is complete. Failure to do so may result in delayed placenta preparation and encapsulation and may cause decreased potency of nutrients, hormones, and other beneficial attributes of the placenta, and even spoilage of the placenta which would render it unusable for encapsulation. It is also your responsibility to discuss release of your placenta after your birth from the hospital/health care provider and to ensure proper storage of your placenta in a refrigerator or cooler until it can be delivered to me for preparation and encapsulation*. Your placenta should not be treated with alcohol, formalin, or any other preservative. Please contact me if you need assistance with hospital release. You should contact the hospital directly, not just your doctor or midwife.
*Your placenta may be kept at room temperature for 2-3 hours following your birth. After that, or as soon as possible, it should be placed in a food-safe container in a cooler full of ice or in a refrigerator. If you are practicing a longer form of delayed cord cutting or lotus birth, ice packs may be wrapped up with the placenta to prevent spoilage. You can prepare your placenta for transport by placing it in a couple of gallon-sized, freezer strength Ziploc bags or in a large plastic container with lid, then into a cooler with ice packs or into a refrigerator. Many hospitals will provide a container or bag. Please do not place the placenta directly on the ice. If it is going to be 3 or more days before your placenta can be processed, it should be frozen. A frozen placenta may require 1-2 additional days for processing since it must be gently defrosted prior to being dehydrated.
- It is your responsibility to inform me if you have been infected with any blood-borne illness(es) or other health issues that I may become infected with through contact of bodily fluids (specifically maternal and fetal blood and amniotic fluid), such as HIV, hepatitis, STD’s, etc. For your safety and the safety of others, if you have ever had any of these bloodborne diseases, we may be unable to process your placenta. You will be expected to provide a copy of bloodwork (request it from your healthcare provider) from your current pregnancy before I can process your placenta (I will not be keeping this paperwork).
- It is your responsibility to understand that the act of ingesting placenta in any form has not been tested, nor approved by the FDA, and you ingest this at your own risk. Furthermore, you release AthensBorn Birth Services, LLC and Becca Crowe from any liability.
- It is your responsibility to know that there may be circumstances under which your placenta cannot be used. Significant abnormalities of the placenta may necessitate your doctor or midwife sending your placenta to Pathology for further examination. Other conditions, such as signs of infection in the mother during labor, may mean that consuming your placenta will not be beneficial to you and could be harmful. If in doubt, I will consult with you before proceeding.
- It is your responsibility to provide me a detailed list of any other medications you are taking regularly in your Placenta Services Registration Form.
The total payment for your placenta services is due upon registering for services. We are not obligated to provide any services before we have received your complete payment. All services must be paid in full before week 36 of your pregnancy in order to reserve your spot on our calendar.
Package A - Placenta Encapsulation, Print, & Cord Keepsake - $210
Package B - Placenta Encapsulation, Print, Cord Keepsake, & 4-oz Placenta Tincture - $260
A la carte - Print & Cord Keepsake - $100
A la carte - 4-oz Placenta Tincture - $100
In the event your placenta is unavailable to you (e.g. sent to Pathology) or if you change your mind and choose to terminate this contract prior to 2 weeks before your due date, all fees paid excluding a service fee of $50 will be refunded in full. If you choose to terminate this contract after releasing your placenta to me but before any preparation has begun, I will return your placenta to you for disposal. A service fee of $50 will be kept, but any other portion of the fee will be returned. There will be no refund once preparation has begun, even if you choose not to accept delivery of the finished capsules.
If you agree to this offer, please respond by filling out this form below. If you have any additional questions please contact us. We look forward to working with you!